Mould is a common problem that many Duluth homeowners have to deal with. It can grow in various places, including walls, ceilings, and floors. However, it can grow under the carpet. Yes, it can.
According to Environmental Protection Agency, mould can grow under carpets, potentially affecting health. This article will discuss why mould grows under the carpet, how it can affect your health, and what you can do about it.
Causes of Mould Growth Under Carpet
Several factors can contribute to mould growth under the carpet. However, the primary cause is moisture. If the rug is installed on a damp or moist surface, it can create an ideal environment for mould to grow. Therefore, EPA suggested reducing indoor humidity and moisture levels to prevent mould growth.
Another factor that can contribute to mould growth under the carpet is poor ventilation. If the room where the carpet is installed lacks proper ventilation, it can lead to moisture buildup, leading to mould growth.
Finally, a dirty and stained carpet can also contribute to mould growth. Dirt and debris can trap moisture, leading to mould growth. But according to Slaidel Hernandez, the Manager of Carpet Cleaning by ATL Clean, “regular and deep cleaning your carpets is the best way to prevent permanent staining” that can lead to mould growth.
Signs of Mould Growth Under Carpet
Detecting mould growth under the carpet can be challenging since it is not visible to the naked eye. “though a carpet may not be visibly dirty when it needs to be cleaned, debris, allergens, and dirt can get caught in the fibres of the carpet,” Hernandez said. However, there are several signs that homeowners can look out for. These include:
- A Musty Odor: Mold has a distinctive musty odour that can be easily detected.
- Discoloration: If the carpet has dark spots or stains that cannot be removed, it could be a sign of mould growth.
- Allergic Reactions: If anyone in the home experiences allergic reactions such as sneezing, coughing, or runny nose, it could be a sign of mould growth.
If you find any of these signs, it is crucial to call in a professional who can test the carpet for mould. “Mould growth under the carpet can be dangerous as it can spread throughout the entire home and cause further damage if not treated properly,” Hernandez said.
How to Prevent Mould Growth Under Carpet
Preventing mould growth under the carpet is crucial to maintaining a healthy home environment. Here are some tips to prevent mould growth under the rug:
- Proper Ventilation: Ensure that the room where the carpet is installed has proper ventilation. This can be achieved by opening windows, using fans, or installing an air conditioning system.
- Keep the Carpet Clean: Regularly vacuuming the carpet can help remove dirt and debris that can trap moisture and lead to mould growth.
- Address Any Moisture Issues: If there is a leaky pipe or a flood in the home, it is essential to address the problem promptly to prevent mould growth.
- Use a Moisture Barrier: A moisture barrier can be installed underneath the carpet to prevent moisture from seeping through the surface.
Mould growth under the carpet is a common problem that can lead to serious health issues if not addressed promptly. Homeowners should take steps to prevent mould growth by ensuring that the room where the carpet is installed has proper ventilation, keeping the carpet clean, addressing any moisture issues promptly, and using a moisture barrier.
Invest in your home’s longevity with a professional carpet cleaning service in Duluth, Johns Creek, Dunwoody and surrounding areas. Regular maintenance can extend the life of your carpets, saving you money in the long run. Contact Carpet Cleaning by ATL Clean to schedule a professional carpet cleaning and prevent mould growth in your home.